Affordable Alternatives to Vitamix are available. Granted, the Vitamix is pretty well known as being the best blender for making green smoothies and all kinds of other blended recipes. This is a high-performance blender that has the highest reliability rating and highest overall rating of all brands on Consumer Reports. However, it also has one of the highest prices for home use blenders. So the question is… Do you really need a Vitamix and is it within your budget? If not then just what is the best Vitamix alternative? We are looking at several top rated high performance blenders. In this article, we share with you what we have learned about each of them. We hope to enable you to easily determine just what will fit your needs best.
Disclosure: Affiliate links are on this page. That means that if you click through and make a purchase then this site will likely receive a small advertising fee. Our legal pages are found here.
Update: The products below are all good Vitamix alternatives. However, we know believe that the very best Vitamix alternative is on this page all about the Ninja Foodi Cold and Hot Blender.
A High Performance Blender Has Many Uses
A good blender has many uses in your kitchen. From making protein shakes or green smoothies to making baby food, salsas, nut butters or even soups, a good blender will get a lot of use. Even guys like to have a great high powered blender as it is an easy way for them to get in some good nutrition when they are trying to lose weight and build muscle.
Some of the tasks that you can do with a high-performance blender include:
- Making silky smooth whole food smoothies that even your kid will drink
- Grind spices,
- Grinding nuts into nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter with no unwanted ingredients,
- Making soft serve ice cream that is dairy free if you choose,
- Crush ice into snow for Slushies and other drinks,
- Make homemade baby food,
- Grind grains into flour,
- And, hot soups.
Alternatives To Vitamix Featured In This Article
There are now several different high-performance blenders that can do most of these things and a few can do even more tasks not listed here.
For those who want a quick link to check prices and options:
These are four brands that have high-performance models that we want to look at below. A couple of these can double as food processors. As someone put it: “The main difference between the Vitamix now and some of its top competitors is simply the ability to create that silky smoothness in the fruit and vegetable blends… that and the cost.”
Recently, we have been trying to learn everything we could about top rated blenders and just what it is that makes them the top ones. For instance, the Vitamix is made right here in the USA. It is a high-performance machine with multiple function capability and does things that a standard plain blender is just not designed to do. It is solidly built with metal gears and is very durable. According to Consumer Reports, it has the highest reliability rating of all the brands that were tested. It will likely last you your lifetime and even enable you to pass it on to your heirs. That is something most other brands just can’t say.
The Vitamix has a track record of requiring the fewest repairs of any other brand. But considering that it also is very expensive, again we ask the question do you really need a Vitamix for your blending needs? To see some good alternatives for you read further
Think that your child will not drink green smoothies? check out this video.
There are a lot of people who say that the next most expensive brand… Blendtec is just as good but costs considerably less. Some people like it even better. Neither of us have actually used a Blendtec but the research reveals that this brand is greatly loved by most of it’s users. According to surveys, some people had some difficulty making nut butters with the Blendtec but absolutely loved the frothy smoothies at which it was superb at making. In one test the Blendtec was even better than the Vitamix at pulverizing berry seeds.
It wasn’t all good news though with the Blendtec, as when we looked at Consumer Reports, they would not, at this time, recommend Blendtec because of repair and service problems reported by the people who had purchased and used a Blendtec for at least four years. Consumer Reports also said that innovation and technology could change the repair problems in future surveys. After all, those were four year or more old blenders. Hopefully, this means that newer models are more reliable. We noticed, though, by going through a lot of reviews, that there were a lot more positive reviews than negative ones. Blendtec now has an 8-year warranty on their products which would also take care of any problems that you might potentially have. We would love to hear from some Blendtec owners so that we could share with you how the products are holding up now.
Blendtec Pros and Cons
- High power at 1560 watts.
- Blends silky smooth smoothies comparable with the Vitamix. (Some say even better).
- The blades are a little dull which make cleaning the jar much safer.
- Has an 8-year warranty.
- The 15” height allows it to fit under the kitchen counter.
- The spatula with the long handle can be used to push down the ingredients in the container.
- It is rather loud when in use.
- It has a plastic jar which some people don’t like but is much lighter than glass.
- The container handle is hollow and you may get liquid or food stuck inside it.
- If left alone to blend a recipe the lid may come off during operation.
Even though it is a good machine with a lot of power, there were some problems at least in the older machines. Also, Blendtec is still expensive. Is there not something that costs much less and that will do the job? There are undoubtedly many brands on the market and many of them do indeed cost much less. We return to the question of… “What do you really need for your blending purposes?”
In our own homes, the blenders we own are the Ninja, the KitchenAid, and the Oster brands. These are older models and the things that we use them for are not as complex as what you can do with the newer higher performance and higher power blenders. Even so, they have held up very well.
Oster – Is This Best Affordable Vitamix Blender Alternative?
Oster has been around a long time and it also has a high-reliability rating with Consumer Reports. We found a few high-performance models of the Oster that you might want to consider… The Oster Versa 1400-watt Professional Performance Blender, and the Oster Versa 1100 watt Professional Performance Blender with two 20 ounce blend and go cups.
The Oster Versa 1400 Watt Professional Performance Blender
This Oster Versa 1400 watt professional performance blender is less expensive than the top brands and is usually on sale with a great discount on Amazon. We noticed that customers who purchased this machine found it to be a reliable and maybe even the best Vitamix alternative that was still affordable. This Oster blender is not like your grandmother’s machine which you can still get for around $30.00, but it is a powerful blender that can do any of the major tasks that the Vitamix is known for, including creating hot soup. There is a 7-year limited warranty for this item. When we were looking for the best Vitamix alternative that was also affordable, this model kept coming up as being a good one to choose. With this model you can blend smooth smoothies, make nut butter and also create hot soups.
The Oster Versa 1100 Watt Blender Is Also A Great Option
The Oster Versa 1100 watt Professional Performance Blender with two 20 ounce blend and go cups is another reliable Vitamix alternative in the Oster lineup. Instead of relying on pure power to pulverize your fruits and veggies, this machine actually has a reverse action blade. That function makes it unnecessary to use a tamper which some of the other high powered machines do seem to need. This particular model may just possibly be your best bet among the affordable alternatives to the vitamix as it has enough power and technology combined to make smooth smoothies, do many other tasks and yet has a very affordable cost. (CURRENT PRICE HERE) You just have to remember that it only has 1100 watts of power versus the 1400 watts so it may take it longer to create some of the same effects.
This Oster can blend delicious smoothies. It comes with a 64-ounce BPA-Free Tritan(r) Jar, 5-cup food processor with slicing/shredding disk and a chopping blade, Two 20-oz blend’n go cups. This blender has a combination of settings that allows exact control along with a feature for pre-programmed settings to make your blending job a lot easier. The blades alternate forward and backward in order to draw the food and any ingredients that might be frozen into the blade to give you a perfect outcome over and over again. To provide you with a peace of mind, this blender carries a 7-year warranty for any unforeseen problems you may encounter.
Oster has an all-metal drive on all their blenders. One customer mentioned that he has both of these models and actually likes this one better because of the reversing blades. The one above makes hot soup but this one will only warm it due to the difference in power. Is making hot soup an important part of your blender choice?
Oster Pros and Cons
- Dedicated button for smoothies.
- The blade works in both directions for better mixing. You can press and hold the reverse button, which allows the blade to bring the contents, especially frozen ones, into the blade and bring about a complete mixing of all ingredients every time. It is also very effective in crushing those tough vegetable roots with the blender’s powerful 1100-watts motor.
- Is backed up by a 7-year warranty.
- There is a smaller blade that comes with this blender which is designed for the “blend and go cups.” This second blade assembly makes it ideal for blending with standard mouth mason jars.
- It can make peanut and almond butter.
- Buying replacements parts for the Oster blenders are easy and inexpensive, compared to Vitamix. The official Oster website sells the replacement parts for all its blenders.
- There is a lack of uniformity in the chopping of the food processing attachment that comes with the 1100 watt blender.
- Small pieces of food get stuck in parts of the To-Go cups and it is very hard to clean them afterward and it does not have a cleaning kit to help with that.
- The reverse button, when pressed and held, allows the blade to only operate at medium speed. You can only get the fast speed on the forward pulse.
- It is very loud when the unit is operating on high-speed setting, but the medium and the low speeds are not too bad.
Oster Pro 1200 Blender
Another blender in the Oster lineup that you may want to consider is the lower priced Oster Pro 1200 Blender Plus 24 oz Smoothie Cup. Even though you cannot do some things with it that you can do with a Vitamix, it still made a very creamy smooth smoothie, even better than the higher priced Ninja. It comes with a glass jar, a BPA-free to go cup and has a 3-year satisfaction guarantee with a 10-year limited warranty on the motor. We are giving you the link above in case you would like to check out this lower priced option for yourself. We just would not recommend it to someone with weak or small hands as the parts you unscrew are quite large. Overall, this is a good blender, and it might be just right for you.
KitchenAid 5 speed Diamond Blender
The KitchenAid blender has been a reliable standby in many kitchens with a whole line of kitchen appliances. When it comes to blenders though their blenders have not been all that outstanding among the competition. KitchenAid currently has a couple of blenders that sell for a little over or a little under a hundred dollars. As usual, we found that there were mostly good reviews but the bad ones gave us some pause. The current KitchenAid blenders have a 5-year limited warranty.
The Intelli-Speed Motor Control of the Blender System senses contents and maintains optimal speed to power through all ingredients, which makes certain all the ingredients blend together quickly and efficiently… You can stir, chop, mix, puree or liquify. The pulse mode works with all speeds for staggered blending.
Based on our research, it seems that the KitchenAid 5 speed Diamond Blender is a good blender with robust power for the money if it meets your needs. At the same time, there seems to be an issue of problems arising down the road with this blender, based on what some purchasers have had to say about this particular model… Take a look at our pros & cons on this particular unit below.
KitchenAid Pros and Cons
- Like other KitchenAid appliances, it comes in a variety of different colors to compliment your decor.
- The 60-oz. BPA-Free patented Diamond Pitcher design is shatter-resistant, scratch-resistant, and stain-resistant. It is also dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
- The die-cast metal base is sturdy and the Clean-Touch control panel wipes clean easily.
- This blender will take care of crushing ice in about 4 seconds and making 2 smoothies in about 15 seconds.
- It is fairly quiet.
- Very good replacement policy.
- The blender does not move or bounce around on the kitchen counter top when running because of the heavy base it has.
- The speed of the motor on this blender is automatically changed due to a sensor which monitors the resistance on the blade. This feature prevents air pockets getting trapped around the blade which may be spinning without mixing anything.
- This model is not as powerful as those above as it only has .9 peak horsepower.
- It has a plastic pitcher that some people don’t like.
- The bolt inside the jug, attaching the blade to the jug, may tend to rust easily. This is because the blade cannot be removed for cleaning and some liquid/food may get stuck there.
- This blender has a Soft-Start feature, which is very effective for a slow start in mixing the ingredients you have in your blender, rather than an ineffective fast start. Unfortunately, there have been some repeated reports that this feature does not always work.
- Possible leakage in the bottom of the pitcher where it connects to the motor gear.
- There are some reports that this does not hold up with heavy use over time. Works great until it quits.
The cost of this blender is reasonable (check here for current price) and with the 5-year limited warranty, This may be a good Vitamix alternative.
Ninja Mega Kitchen System with 1500 Watts Base
The last one we want to mention is the Ninja. Now there are a number of different models available for the Ninja. Some of them are low power basic blenders and others are just as high powered as the top models such as Vitamix and Blendtec. The prices also differ with these models depending on whether you just want a basic blender or whether you want food processing, personal size blending, high powered blending, or a variation of other options.
The one we are featuring here is Ninja’s high powered 1500 watt blender that comes with personal size blender jars and an 8 cup food processor attachment. With this particular kitchen system, many people have been able to replace their blenders, food processors, and mixers with this one machine. You may need an all in one appliance or you may not. You can get this system for less than $200.00. The high-powered blender is also available without accessories (at a cheaper price) if you find you don’t need quite this much.
This set includes specialty blades to mix dough, pulverize ice, and slice, chop and shred ingredients. It has an extra-large 72-ounce pitcher, as well as a 64-ounce mixing bowl. The Nutri-Ninja also comes with a 25 recipe book to get you started, and two 24-ounce Nutri-Ninja cups so you can enjoy your creations on the go.
One thing that the Ninja excels at is chopping fruits or veggies to prep them for use in recipes. The stacked blade system that Ninja uses enables the food to be evenly chopped at the top and bottom without pureeing the bottom before the top is chopped. You can get the food chopped coarsely, fine, or puree your food by blending a bit longer.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The blades are super sharp and you need to be careful to only handle them by the shaft. You do not want to grab the blades with your hands or you may risk a cut just as you would with a very sharp knife. Blenders that use dull blades do not do as well with uniformity from top to bottom when it comes to chopping food. Those duller blades are designed more for pulverizing rather than for chopping. The Ninja blades chop very well. Just keep your hands and fingers away from the blades.
When it comes to making smoothies, Consumer Reports gives the Ninja an excellent rating. The Ninja is also among the more reliable brands, right along with Vitamix and Oster. One thing that some people have concerns about Ninja blenders is the fact that their gear system connects to a hard plastic connector.
Our very own Glenda says: “I have an older Ninja Master Prep system and I have used it heavily for several years with no problems. It is a lower wattage machine and when blending green smoothies I blend in stages. The green spinach or kale is blended with the liquid base first before adding the other fruits and vegetables. It does take longer to get them smooth in my older lower wattage machine but I can usually get them there. The newer models have much greater power and can blend a lot quicker.” So, as you can see, no matter what kind of blender you choose if you have any difficulty getting your leafy greens to blend smooth… the method of blending in stages will help to eliminate the problem of chewy smoothies.
Ninja Pros and Cons
- Combination unit can replace blender, food processor and mixer.
- Very powerful with 1500 watts.
- Food processor bowl holds 8 cups which is a convenient size for most things.
- Does a great job of chopping food evenly from top to bottom without liquefying the food at the bottom and having large chunks at the top.
- Food processor bowl for this model will not fit another model.
- All the components take up some space.
- The 8-cup food processor bowl will only hold 2 lbs. of dough so if you do a lot of baking this may not be large enough.
- The machine is loud… but then the other high-performance machines are too.
- Some reviewers report that due to plastic coupling parts they will wear out with heavy use.
- Has a 1-year standard warranty.
The difference between a $100 machine and a $650 machine may be whether it can pulverize strawberry seeds and kale to the point where your children will not know it is there. If you need that then you might want a Vitamix, a Blendtec or a reconditioned Vitamix. The Blendtec does not have as good a reliability rating right now on Consumer Reports as the Vitamix, Oster, and Ninja. There still are a lot of satisfied loyal users, though.
According to Consumer Reports, the reliability of the Ninja is pretty good. After going through all the reviews and research to prepare for this article we found that there was nothing out there that did not have some kind of potential flaw if the machines were used and abused enough to find it.
We are not here to criticize any of these brands. Most people have good things to say about them and the appliances that we have in our own homes have held up well with a lot of use.
Overall, the blenders that we have featured on this page have made a lot of people happy even with a few flaws that some customers found.
The Best Blender To Make Green Smoothies
If you are trying to improve or maintain your health, then you may be wanting to try the green smoothies that are reported to increase your energy levels, boost your immune system and just plain make you feel good. In that case, you want the best blender to make green smoothies. Almost any blender can make a fruit smoothie but it takes a high performance blender to get green smoothies really smooth. The Vitamix blenders are hard to beat. They can quickly and easily make silky smooth smoothies by pulverizing seeds and leafy greens and make it possible to hide green vegetables from your kids. Wow! Getting better nutrition into your kids is a major plus in our book.
These machines are tough and many users say that they are definitely worth the money, but if they don’t quite fit into your budget yet, we think that the blenders we have mentioned are some affordable alternatives to the Vitamix blenders that you might be just as happy with. When you are using a blender that does not have quite as much power remember to cut your fruit and veggies into smaller pieces before blending them. Also remember to blend in stages. That will help to reduce the work load of the lower power blenders.
Affordable Alternatives To The Vitamix
So, you can see that there really are some affordable alternatives to the Vitamix blenders. Before you purchase one for yourself, though, you really need to determine what you would use it for. If all you want to do is blend a milkshake now and then, almost any blender will do that. If you want to make green smoothies and frozen drinks then you need something that is powerful enough to blend fruits, vegetables and crushes ice well.
The more powerful blenders do a good job of making silky smooth fruit and vegetable smoothies but don’t expect the lower power, models to be able to do what the higher power blenders can do. For instance, one of the basic blenders might be able to blend a green smoothie but you will not find it to be silky smooth and there will be seeds and pulp that you won’t find in the higher power machines. For occasional milkshakes or chopping veggies, it may serve you well.
Is your loved one into health and fitness? If that is the case, then you may want one of the more powerful models as it will probably be used heavily. If they only want to make an occasional milkshake or blend up some cooked veggies for soup, then almost any blender can handle that. Get the best you can afford and encourage your loved ones to create some of those health-giving, energy boosting superfood drinks. A healthy family is a much happier family.
We do hope that the information we have provided for you here will help you find the blender that is right for you. There are a lot of choices out there. We want to help you make the smart choices for your home.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates
Also check out these posts